Beaumont in Jefferson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Jeﬀerson County Courthouse
The first courthouse here was completed in 1854. Built by John A. Beaumont, it was a two-story square structure surrounded by a six-foot picket fence. Baptist and Methodist congregations conducted Sunday services in the building and during the Civil War it was leased to D. T. Inglehart, a Confederate surgeon, for use as a hospital.
A second courthouse was constructed in 1893, twelve years after the incorporation of Beaumont. Designed by E. T. Heiner, it was a three-story red brick building with white trim. Following the area oil boom of the 1920s it proved inadequate to meet the needs of the growing population and was replaced by the present brick courthouse in 1931. Designed by Fred Stone and A. Babin, the fourteen-story building features art deco styling in the use of sculpted ornamentation and marble interior work.
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10536.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is located in a small nook surrounded by shrubs to the left of the walkway in front of the courthouse and is not visible from the road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1149 Pearl Street, Beaumont TX 77701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Port of Beaumont (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henry Millard (approx. ¼ mile away); Beaumont (approx. ¼ mile away); Tyrrell Public Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jefferson Theatre (approx. 0.4 miles away); Texas' First Rice Mill (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Lucas Gusher (approx. 3.3 miles away); French Trading Post (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaumont.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 11, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 12, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.