Beaumont in Jefferson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
After his partner's death in 1833 and his wife's death in 1834, Millard migrated to Texas in 1835. with his new partner, J. P. Pulsifer, he bought land along the Neches River between the settlements of Santa Anna and Tevis Bluff. He laid out a townsite and named it Beaumont, his wife's maiden name.
Embracing the political life of his new homeland, Millard served as a delegate to the Consultation of 1835 and, as a Lt. Colonel in the Texas Army, commanded infantry at the Battle of San Jacinto. He later served as chief justice, alderman, and justice of the peace in Beaumont and Jefferson County, as well as tax assessor in Galveston after his move there in 1842. He died in Galveston in August 1844 and was buried there in the Episcopal Cemetery.
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10544.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is located in the plaza between the Beaumont Public Library and the Julie Rogers Theater. Marker is at or near this postal address: 801 Pearl Street, Beaumont TX 77701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Beaumont (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tyrrell Public Library (about 400 feet away); Jefferson Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jefferson County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Port of Beaumont (approx. ¼ mile away); Texas' First Rice Mill (approx. 1.1 miles away); French Trading Post (approx. 3½ miles away); The Lucas Gusher (approx. 3½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaumont.
Also see . . . Millard, Henry - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on June 13, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 11, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 12, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.