Port Arthur in Jefferson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Port Arthur Reﬁnery
In early 1901, a consortium of men from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, formed the J.M. Guffey Petroleum Company to finance and develop an industry for the oil from its Spindletop leases. In need of refining facilities and a sales organization, the consortium chartered the Gulf Refining Company on November 10, 1901, and built a refinery at Port Arthur for the purposes of making the crude oil into a usable commodity.
Early products of the refining company included gasoline, kerosene and engine oil. In 1907, assets of the J.M. Guffey Petroleum and Gulf Refining Companies were merged into the Gulf Oil Corporation. At the end of 1910, Port Arthur was the company's lone refinery until a second was built in Fort Worth the following year.
Innovative production, refining and retailing techniques after World War I kept the company on solid economic footing. Expansion continued after World War II, and by 1955, Gulf Oil was the nation's largest producer of ethylene. By 1960, the Port Arthur facility was refining 270,000 barrels of crude oil per day into 600 different
Gulf Oil became part of Chevron in 1984. In 1995, Clark Refining took ownership of the Port Arthur plant, and in 2000, Clark's name was changed to Premcor. Upholding an excellent safety record, the Port Arthur refinery has been a significant factor in the city's development as a major petrochemical center.
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12562.)
Location. 29° 51.548′ N, 93° 58.165′ W. Marker is in Port Arthur, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is on State Highway 87 0.6 miles south of State Highway 82, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Arthur TX 77640, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Oil Tanker Service (approx. ¾ mile away); Spaight's 11th Battalion (approx. 9.7 miles away); Sabine Bank Lighthouse (approx. 9.7 miles away); 1886 Hurricane at Sabine Pass (approx. 9.7 miles away); City of Sabine and Sabine Pass (approx. 9.7 miles away); Fort Sabine (approx. 9.7 miles away); Dick Dowling (approx. 9.8 miles away); Beach Road (approx. 9.8 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,013 times since then and 61 times this year. Last updated on June 11, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 24, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.