Sacramento in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Blue Diamond Building
It was one of the last operating canneries in the City of Sacramento the canning center of the West in the early 1900’s. About the same time, California Almond Growers Exchange began building what was to become the world’s largest almond processing and marketing organization at 18th and C Streets.
The Exchange is a cooperative owned by more than 5700 California almond growers who market to over 88 countries under the quality Blue Diamond label. Almonds are California’s largest food export. Foreign flags representing countries of visiting customers and dignitaries fly above the International Visitor Center.
The old cannery was renovated in 1983 to serve as the International Visitors Center and Almond Plaza, officially called the Blue Diamond Building.
Location. 38° 35.032′ N, 121° 28.767′ W. Marker is in Sacramento, California, in Sacramento County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1809 C St, Sacramento, Sacramento CA 95811, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker California Almond Growers Exchange ( about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Governor’s Mansion ( approx. 0.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church ( approx. 0.6 miles away); The Dunn Mansion ( approx. 0.7 miles away); The First Hundred Years are the Hardest ( approx. 0.7 miles away); Captain John A. Sutter's Landing ( approx. ¾ mile away); Young America Engine Co. No. 6 ( approx. ¾ mile away); Sa’ Cumn’e Plaza ( approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sacramento.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,331 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 28, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.