Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Prairie Lea Cemetery

 
 
Prairie Lea Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 11, 2018
1. Prairie Lea Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Graves in this historic cemetery date from the 1840s, although trustees of the Brenham Cemetery Association did not formally set aside the property until 1871. It came into operation following concern the earlier Masonic Cemetery would soon reach capacity, given the large number of yellow fever victims in the late 1860s. Trustees purchased the initial 22.77 acres here from J.D. Giddings.

Among those buried in Prairie Lea are veterans of military conflicts dating to the Texas Revolution. Notable gravesites include those of brothers Jabez Demming and Dewitt Clinton Giddings, prominent local lawyers, bankers, railroad promoters and politicians. Influential religious leaders buried here are Carl A. Urbantke, an Austrian-born Methodist minister instrumental in formation of what became Blinn College, and Robert Alexander, also a Methodist preacher, and a founder of Georgetown's Texas University, forerunner of Southwestern University. Others interred here are Thomas B. Dwyer, a native of Ireland who aided Catholic missionaries, helped establish St. Mary's Parish and started a reading room and Free Library Association that led to the Brenham Public Library; powerful U.S. Congressman James Paul Buchanan, for whom Lake Buchanan on the Colorado River in central Texas is named; and Confederate General John David McAdoo, a Texas Supreme
Prairie Lea Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 11, 2018
2. Prairie Lea Cemetery
Court Justice.

Interesting features in Prairie Lea Cemetery include tombstones with German inscriptions, reflecting the area's early heritage, and Rest Chapel, built in 1897. Both contribute to the site's significance as a valued historical landmark
 
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13902.)
 
Location. 30° 9.362′ N, 96° 24.476′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is on Prairie Lea Street (Farm to Market Road 389) 0.1 miles south of West 5th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1004 Prairie Lea St, Brenham TX 77833, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George Washington Petty (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Schmid Bros. Building (approx. 0.9 miles away); Former Bank Building of Giddings & Giddings (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Brenham Maifest (approx. one mile away); County Commissioners Court (approx. one mile away); Washington County Courthouse (approx. one mile away); Washington County C. S. A. (approx. one mile away); Bassett and Bassett Banking House (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
 
Also see . . .
Prairie Lea Cemetery Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 11, 2018
3. Prairie Lea Cemetery Marker Area
 Prairie Lea Cemetery. (Submitted on June 12, 2018.)
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 12, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement