Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sabine Pass in Jefferson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort Sabine

 
 
Fort Sabine Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, June 10, 2018
1. Fort Sabine Marker
Inscription. During the Civil War, the Sabine Pass Channel was a strategic gateway to the interior of eastern Texas and western Louisiana, control of which was vital. Fearing a possible Union invasion, the citizens of Sabine City (later Sabine Pass) formed a “committee of safety” in April 1861. The primary responsibility of the committee was to build a fort along the channel and to arm it with guns capable of defending their city against Union naval assault.

Local residents, including many slaves, constructed a dirt and timber earthwork overlooking the channel. The fort was garrisoned by the Sabine Pass Guard, a local militia, and later by the 6th Texas Infantry Battalion and members of Spaightís 11th Battalion, Texas Volunteers. On Sept. 24, 1862, the Union steamer USS Kensington, along with schooners USS Rachel Seaman and USS Henry Janes attacked. Fort Sabine suffered extensive damage. At the time of the attack, Confederate forces manning Fort Sabine numbered approximately 60. Coupled with the effects of yellow fever among troops and citizens, C.S.A. Major Josephus S. Irvine ordered the Fortís guns spiked and the site evacuated. Union forces mastered the earthworks at Fort Sabine, occupying the immediate area for months before abandoning the site in early 1863.

In March 1863, Confederate forces inspected and determined
Fort Sabine Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, June 10, 2018
2. Fort Sabine Marker
Markers visible in this photo from left to right are Fort Sabine, Sam Houston City of Sabine Sesquicentennial Monument, City of Sabine and Sabine Pass, and 1886 Hurricane at Sabine Pass.
that Fort Sabine was no longer an effective defensive position. Lessons learned from Fort Sabine impacted the construction of a new site, Fort Griffin, positioned along the channel about one mile north. Two reactivated 32-pound guns from Fort Sabine were installed at Fort Griffin prior to the historic second battle of Sabine Pass on September 8, 1863.
 
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17600.)
 
Location. 29° 44.076′ N, 93° 53.638′ W. Marker is in Sabine Pass, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Broadway Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is one of several located within Lions Community Park. Marker is in this post office area: Sabine Pass TX 77655, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. City of Sabine and Sabine Pass (a few steps from this marker); 1886 Hurricane at Sabine Pass (a few steps from this marker); Sabine Bank Lighthouse (a few steps from this marker); Spaight's 11th Battalion (within shouting distance of this marker); Dick Dowling (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Beach Road (about 800 feet away); Spanish-American War Fortifications (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort Manhassett (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sabine Pass.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Sabine - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on June 13, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 13, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement