Settled 1858 as Rio Frio. Later called "Dog Town" because ranchers used many dogs to round up cattle. 1871 townsite was laid out as Colfax. Made county seat 1877.
Renamed for S.J. Tilden, who won popular vote for U.S. President, 1876.
Ranching and petroleum center. Noted for fine rural high school, annual rodeo, historic sites.
Erected 1966 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5492.)
Location. 28° 27.653′ N, 98° 32.98′ W. Marker is in Tilden, Texas, in McMullen County. Marker is on River Street (State Highway 16) south of Elm Street (State Highway 72), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located at the southwest corner of the McMullen County Courthouse grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 River Street, Tilden TX 78072, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McMullen County (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Rock Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Dog Town Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Old San Antonio-Laredo Road
Also see . . .
1. Tilden History in a Pecan Shell.
In 1858, there were two communities in the area. Thirty people who had congregated near the mouth of Leoncita Creek on the Frio River looked around for something to name their town after. They came up with Rio Frio. Rio Frio was once called Dog Town for a mass execution of the towns canine population by drunken cowboys. Dog Town had 190 people by 1870 and the town got its own post office the following year. The name of the town was changed to Colfax in 1871. In 1877 it was chosen as the county seat when McMullen County was organized, and the name was changed to Tilden. (Submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Tilden, Texas.
In 1879 a ferry across the Frio was established at Tilden, and about 1880 stagecoaches traveling the San Antonio-Laredo road began to make regular stops there. In 1878 the town's first church was built and was shared by Methodists and Baptists. In 1952 Tilden had three cafes, four service stations, two garages, four grocery stores, a drugstore, a barbershop, a lumberyard, and three churches. (Submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.