Historic Sitka Alaska
Nearly 30 years later, in 1895, his son, George Thornton Emmons (1852-1945) and his wife, May (Baker) built the Emmons home for their family.
This American FourSquare house was a square, boxy design similar to others built in Sitka during the Transitional Period (1890-1930) in architecture. It was the first home in Sitka to have plastered walls.
Lieutenant in the U.S. Navy (1880-1899), George Thornton Emmons was stationed in Sitka and developed an intense interest in Tlingit culture. Many of the objects Emmons collected over the years were sold or donated to the American Museum of Natural History in New York City, the Field Museum in Chicago, and the University of Washington Seattle Burke Museum. Some of these objects have been returned to the native community. Emmons’ ethnological report on the Native tribes of Southerneastern Alaska remains an important resource. After George died in 1945 the manuscript was edited and published as the book, The Tlingit Indians (UW Press 1991) by Frederica de Laguna.
The Emmons house was captured in this historic photograph of aviation history. In 1929, the bi-plane named "Sitka” carrying a United States Navy crew to conduct a geological survey in Southeast Alaska landed in front of the Emmons house.
By 1966, the harbor was dredged and made Crescent
Location. 57° 3.077′ N, 135° 19.781′ W. Marker is in Sitka, Alaska, in Sitka Borough. Marker is at the intersection of Lincoln Street and Baranof Street, on the right when traveling west on Lincoln Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 Lincoln Street, Sitka AK 99835, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. 250th Anniversary of the Bering- Chirikov Expedition (approx. 0.4 miles away).
Categories. • Air & Space • Architecture •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 7, 2018, by Col. James F. Jamison, USMC (Ret) of Coronado, California. This page has been viewed 85 times since then. Last updated on June 13, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1. submitted on June 7, 2018, by Col. James F. Jamison, USMC (Ret) of Coronado, California. 2. submitted on June 9, 2018, by Col. James F. Jamison, USMC (Ret) of Coronado, California. 3. submitted on June 13, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.