Williamstown in Berkshire County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Site of West Hoosac Fort
and blockhouse to protect Massachusetts
from French and Indian attack.
Defended on July 11, 1756 despite the
scalping of three soldiers.
Erected by Williamstown Historical Commission.
Location. 42° 42.851′ N, 73° 12.668′ W. Marker is in Williamstown, Massachusetts, in Berkshire County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 7) west of North Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1090 Main Street, Williamstown MA 01267, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Here Stood the West Hoosac Blockhouse (here, next to this marker); 1753 House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away); World Wars Memorial (about 400 feet away); War Memorial (about 500 feet away); Site of First Meeting House (about 500 feet away); West College (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Meeting House of the First Congregational Church UCC (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamstown.
Also see . . . Williamstown Historical Museum Presents: The Attack on West Hoosuck Blockhouse with Dusty Griffin (Submitted on June 13, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 13, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.