A self taught naturalist, Edward Avery McIlhenny returned to Avery Island from an arctic expedition in 1898. He shortly took over the family's TABASCO® pepper sauce business. McIlhenny married Mary Matthews of New Orleans and built a house in what became Jungle Gardens. Together they reared three children on the Island. McIlhenny applied his curious skills to running the family business, caring for his mother and extended family members, and learning to harness his boundless curiosity, abilities , and vigor to serve this small, isolated "island."
In 1924, McIlhenny's original house burned. It was rebuilt soon after, in a more restrained style, and this structure presently stands in Jungle Garden. (Marker Number 13.)
Location. 29° 54.469′ N, 91° 54.709′ W. Marker is in Avery Island, Louisiana, in Iberia Parish. Marker is on Jungle Garden Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Avery Island LA 70513, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bird City (within shouting distance of this marker); Bamboo (within shouting distance of this marker); Sunken Gardens (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Buddah
More about this marker. Stop #13, located along the Jungle Garden self driving tour.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 16, 2018.