Old Waverly in San Jacinto County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
To provide education equal to any, Waverly Institute was founded in 1854, with separate departments for boys and girls.
Plantation system prevailed until 1860s. During Civil War, Federal troops camped in heart of Waverly, on Soldier's Hill.
Of three early churches, only the Presbyterian (organized in 1860) still exists; its present building was erected in 1904.
Erected 1969 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7673.)
Location. 30° 31.623′ N, 95° 21.194′ W. Marker is in Old Waverly, Texas, in San Jacinto County. Marker is on Jim Browder Road 0.1 miles north of State Highway 150, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Willis TX 77378, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Willis Cigar Factory (approx. 10.3 miles away); Willis (approx. 10.3 miles away); Sam Houston (approx. 13.2 miles away); Josey Boy Scout Lodge (approx. 17.3 miles away); The Presidents Tree (approx. 17.4 miles away); Peabody Library Building (approx. 17˝ miles away); Austin College Building (approx. 17˝ miles away); Old Main Building (approx. 17.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Waverly, Texas - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on June 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 44 times since then and 2 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on June 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.