Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coldspring in San Jacinto County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Coldspring

(Laurel Hill Baptist Church)

 
 
First Baptist Church of Coldspring Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, June 16, 2018
1. First Baptist Church of Coldspring Marker
Inscription. Formally organized in 1848 in the small community known as "Fireman's Hill" (formerly "Coonskin"), Laurel Hill Baptist Church began with four members and the Rev. Joseph Warner Dossey Creath as its first pastor. The Rev. Mr. Creath came to Texas as a missionary for the Domestic Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention and later became a prominent figure among Texas Baptists.

By 1850 the settlement was known as "Cold Springs." In 1853 several church members participated in the formation of an educational institution known as the Cold Springs Female College or Institute. Recognized as one of the early educational efforts of Texas Baptists, the school flourished for a short time. General James B. Davis (1790-1859), a friend of General Sam Houston and former adjutant general of the Republic of Texas Army, donated land for a church building, baptismal pool and cemetery. A small building was erected across from the cemetery in 1855. The Cold Springs Male and Female Academy, as it was called by 1861, closed with the advent of the Civil War.

The church building served on that site until a fire ravaged the San Jacinto County Courthouse in 1915. By 1918 a new courthouse had been completed nearby. Homes, businesses and the Laurel Hill Baptist Church were moved to the new site. The church was destroyed by fire in 1950; a
First Baptist Church of Coldspring image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, June 16, 2018
2. First Baptist Church of Coldspring
new structure built that same year was renamed First Baptist Church of Coldspring. Buildings were added to the church complex as necessary.

The First Baptist Church of Coldspring continues a tradition of worship and service established by its founders. The congregation celebrated its 150th anniversary in 1998.
 
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12179.)
 
Location. 30° 35.464′ N, 95° 7.654′ W. Marker is in Coldspring, Texas, in San Jacinto County. Marker is at the intersection of East Pine Avenue and Butler Street, on the right when traveling east on East Pine Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East Pine Avenue, Coldspring TX 77331, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Jacinto County Courthouse (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Townsite of Coldspring (about 600 feet away); Governor George Tyler Wood (about 600 feet away); Mount Moriah Lodge No. 37, A.F. & A.M. (about 700 feet away); Coldspring Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old San Jacinto County Jail (approx. 0.4 miles away); San Jacinto County Jail (approx. 0.4 miles away); San Jacinto County (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coldspring.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionEducationSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement