Lexington in Fayette County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
St. Paul Catholic Church
The cornerstone was laid on Nov. 12,1865 and church consecrated by the Rt. Rev. G.A. Carroll, Bishop of Covington, on Oct. 18, 1868. The remains of the first pastor, Fr. Bekkers, are interred in a vault in the narthex of the church. In 1909, St Paul was divided into two separate and distinct parishes due to substantial growth. Over.
The church is a fine example of Gothic Revival architecture. At the time of completion, the 210-foot bell tower was the tallest in the city. Clocks from Boston added in 1883 were the city's first church tower clocks. The twelve single-panel stained glass windows were designed and manufactured by G. C. Riordan Co. in Cincinnati.
Erected 2015 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2468.)
Location. 38° 3.02′ N, 84° 29.999′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Kentucky, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of West Short Street and Algonquin Street, on the left when traveling south on West Short Street. Touch for map. Marker is located
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mary Todd Lincoln (a few steps from this marker); Lexington (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Town Branch (about 400 feet away); Pioneer Burying Ground (about 400 feet away); African American Physicians (about 500 feet away); First Inauguration (about 700 feet away); Breckinridge's Last Home (about 700 feet away); School Of Medicine (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
Also see . . .
1. Recollections: A History of Saint Paul. Long before this church was built, Fr. Badin and Fr. Thomas O’Flynn, aided by Col. Joseph Hamilton and Captain Nathaniel Hart, opened a subscription drive on St. Patrick’s Day, 1811 on the steps of Lexington’s courthouse. Protestants and Catholics subscribed liberally and $300.00 was raised on the spot and the amount continued to grow. A lot was purchased on July 13, 1813 for $312.00 from Robert and Anne Todd, (future President Abraham Lincoln's future in-laws). A one-story, brick, Gothic chapel was (Submitted on June 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Established, 1837, North Limestone (Mulberry) Street. The population of Lexington and its Catholic community increased with the introduction of the railroad and other improvements. By 1837, Catholics moved into the second St. Peter Church at the corner of North Limestone (then Mulberry) and Third Streets. The location and building of the church commenced the community's long and happy alliance with the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. The Sisters had opened St. Catherine Academy on the Limestone property and sold the corner portion for construction of the church. In 1868, St. Paul Church was built on Short Street, and St. Peter was maintained as a mission. (Submitted on June 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 5. submitted on June 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 6, 7. submitted on June 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.