Floral City in Citrus County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Historic Duval House
In 1863 John Paul Formy-Duval and his wife Elizabeth Ann Trantham bought land from Allen Munden and began building their home. During the process of construction, the Duvals discovered that they had been building their house a few hundred yards west of the land they had purchased. The Duval family left the house unfinished and went on to build another home on what would later become Duval Island. The Duval House came into possession of the Metz family after a succession of owners, and was home to the next four generations of this family before being acquired by the Duval Preservation Trust, Inc. in 2011 This home is believed to be the oldest surviving residential structure in Citrus County.
Erected 2018 by Fort Cooper Chapter NSDAR.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 28° 45.006′ N, 82° 17.675′ W. Marker is in Floral City, Florida, in Citrus County. Marker is at the intersection of East Orange Avenue (County Road 48) and South Old Floral City Road, on the right when traveling east on East Orange Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8360 East Orange Avenue, Floral City FL 34436, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least The Historic Duval House (a few steps from this marker); Historic Floral City (approx. 0.4 miles away); What Lies Ahead (approx. ¾ mile away); Mile Posts (approx. 1.3 miles away); A Costly Florida War (approx. 3.9 miles away); Fort Cooper (approx. 4.7 miles away); The Great Train Wreck of 1956 (approx. 4.8 miles away); The Battle of Wahoo Swamp (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Floral City.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 23, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.