San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Life in San Antonio in the 1700s revolved around Main and Military plazas west of the river and Mission San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo) east of the river. Residents traveled between the plazas and mission along an unpaved street that led to a low river crossing. Later known as Commerce Street, the thoroughfare was lined with small houses and stores until the late 1800s when multi-story limestone and brick structures transformed downtown. To accommodate increased cross-town traffic, a narrow bridge was replaced by a wider iron span in 1890, and in 1914 the present concrete bridge was constructed. It was not until the early 1900s that city leaders began to clear the overgrown river to create a linear park. Architect Robert H.H. Hugman’s plans to further enhance the river with walkways and landscaping were implemented from 1939 to 1941. The River Walk attracted a few businesses, but it was not until HemisFair ’68 that the beautified walkway began to flourish. Today the River Walk is the city’s second most popular attraction.
Location. 29° 25.408′ N, 98° 29.271′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker can be reached from Losoya Street south of East Commerce Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Commerce Street Bridge (a few steps from this marker); Mr. & Mrs. Alfred Beyer (within shouting distance of this marker); 141st Infantry Regiment (within shouting distance of this marker); The Torch of Friendship (within shouting distance of this marker); Father of the River Walk (within shouting distance of this marker); 250th Anniversary of the Founding of San Antonio (within shouting distance of this marker); Congressman Henry B. Gonzalez (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Acequias of San Antonio (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Also see . . .
1. Commerce Street at the San Antonio River. Located at the historic main ford between San Fernando De Bexar (the city) and San Antonio De Valero (The Alamo), the river crossing has long been a focal point of history for the city of San Antonio. In 1836, Albert Martin, (Submitted on June 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The History of Roads and Bridges in San Antonio. From San Antonio's very earliest days in 1718, the thoroughfare between the Alamo and San Fernando cathedral, now called Commerce Street, was the most important thoroughfare in the city. The first wooden bridge suitable for more than pedestrians and light carriages was built over the river in 1841. Replaced with a stronger wooden structure in 1867, Commerce Street was thronged with activity of all kinds. Freight trains of up to thirty wagons, each pulled by teams of oxen and mules, arrived and departed every day. Mixed into this would be street vendors and blacksmiths. The number of mules, horses and oxen must have made the air almost unbearable. Disease carrying flies filled the air. A stroll across Main Square full of grazing animals provided an entirely (Submitted on June 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Parks & Recreational Areas • Roads & Vehicles • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 47 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7, 8. submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.