San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Travis Street Crossing
County leaders purchased land on the west bank of the San Antonio River in 1859, intending to build a new courthouse and jail. Their plans changed and the property was sold in 1866 to a miller, Jacob Laux, who dammed the river and built a four-story mill on the site. Laux used both steam and water to power his mill that produced corn meal and flour at the rate of fourteen bushels an hour. He leased mill in the 1870s and early 1880s and then converted it to a boarding house. Though commercial development surrounded the old mill after Travis Street was extended across the river in 1910, family members continued to live there until it was sold in 1918. The Milam Building, designed by local architect George Willis and completed on the site in 1928, was the city's tallest reinforced concrete structure and the country's first air conditioned high-rise office structure.
Location. 29° 25.63′ N, 98° 29.555′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker can be reached from East Travis Street west of North Saint Mary's Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located on the San Antonio River Walk, just south of the Travis Street Bridge, on the east side of the river. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 East Travis Street, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Houston Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of De La Garza House, Gardens and Mint (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); T.C. Frost (about 500 feet away); Majestic Theatre (about 600 feet away); San Antonio's River Walk and Flood Control System (about 800 feet away); Twohig House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Twin Cypress Mexican Sniper Tree (approx. 0.2 miles away); Perote Prisoners (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Also see . . .
1. First US air-conditioned high-rise office building. The Milam Building was the first high-rise air-conditioned office building in the United States. The air-conditioning design team was led by Willis H. Carrier, founder of the Carrier Engineering Corporation, in cooperation with architect George Willis, engineer M.L Diver, and contractor L.T. Wright and Company. The system provided 300 tons of refrigeration capacity with chilled water, piped to air-handling fans serving all floors. When it opened in January 1928, this 21-story building was also the tallest brick and concrete-reinforced structure in the United States. (Submitted on June 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Laux Mill in the 1880s from Houston St. (This link presents various "then and now" photos, including one of Jacob Laux' mill from 1880s.) Laux moved to San Antonio in 1859 and constructed the (Submitted on June 24, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.