Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
South Haven in Van Buren County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Commercial Shipping

 
 
Commercial Shipping Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 24, 2017
1. Commercial Shipping Marker
Inscription.
South Haven emerged as a commercial shipping center in the 1850s. By the late nineteenth century, lumber, fruit, and other manufactured goods were transported between South Haven, Chicago, and other cities on steam vessels. Commercial shipping peaked in South Haven during the 1930s. In 1932 alone, 56 ships delivered 64,000 net tons of clay and wood pulp to South Haven. During the 1960s, commercial shipping largely ended in South Haven as goods were increasingly shipped via highways.

Sponsored by the South Haven Municipal Marina

 
Erected by South Haven Municipal Marina & Michigan Maritime Museum.
 
Location. 42° 24.184′ N, 86° 16.628′ W. Marker is in South Haven, Michigan, in Van Buren County. Marker is on Water Street 0.1 miles west of Kalamazoo Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, overlooking the South Haven Municipal Marina. Marker is in this post office area: South Haven MI 49090, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Downtown's Rich History (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Entertainment Around the Harbor (about 500 feet away); Shipbuilding
Marker detail: Moving Cargo by Sail image. Click for full size.
2. Marker detail: Moving Cargo by Sail
Sailing vessels such as schooners transported lumber and other goods to and from South Haven. During the early twentieth century, schooners and other sailing vessels were gradually replaced by more efficient steamboats.
(about 700 feet away); Algonquin Legends of South Haven (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lightkeeper's Dwelling (approx. mile away); Evelyn S (approx. mile away); Commercial Fishing (approx. mile away); Corporal Duane E. Dewey (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Haven.
 
More about this marker. Marker is a large composite plaque, mounted horizontally on waist-high posts. Marker is part of South Haven's Harbor Walk series.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. South Haven Harbor Walk
 
Also see . . .
1. Boating and Shipping. Initially, there maritime industry suffered because of a sand bar that prevented ships from going into the river dock. Once it was removed and docks were added in 1864, ship building and boating began to progress. With the advent of steamboats, shipping lines started to emerge around the 1890s, the most notable of which were the Graham-Morton line, South Haven and Chicago Transportation Company, and the Goodrich Transit Company.
Marker detail: South Haven Terminal Company image. Click for full size.
3. Marker detail: South Haven Terminal Company
The South Haven Terminal Company docks and warehouses were located along the Black River from the 1920s to the 1960s. During this time, more than 900 ships from Europe and Canada brought wood pulp and clay for the Kalamazoo paper pulls. Domestic ships delivered stone, gravel, coal, and pig iron for local industries
These lines, coupled with the prosperous fruit industry, made South Haven an important port of the Great Lakes during the turn of the century. (Submitted on June 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. South Haven Harbor Walk. This South Haven Harbor Walk map shows the location of this and other historical markers in South Haven. (Submitted on June 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels
 
Marker detail: Plying the Chicago Trade image. Click for full size.
4. Marker detail: Plying the Chicago Trade
The South Haven-based Myrtle M Ross was one of several vessels that offered steamboat service to Chicago.
Marker detail: Working the Docks image. Click for full size.
5. Marker detail: Working the Docks
Stevedores were once a common sight on South Haven's docks. Paper pulp was unloaded from foreign freighters for rail shipment to mills in Kalamazoo. c. 1940
Commercial Shipping Marker (<i>wide view; overlooking South Haven Municipal Marina</i>) image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 24, 2017
6. Commercial Shipping Marker (wide view; overlooking South Haven Municipal Marina)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement