Near Livingston in Polk County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of the Town of Swartwout
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 10426.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 30° 38.323′ N, 95° 0.279′ W. Marker is near Livingston, Texas, in Polk County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 1988 0.7 miles north of Farm to Market Road 3278, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. In front of Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5029 South FM 1988, Livingston TX 77351, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Roads in Polk County (approx. ¼ mile away); Goodrich School (approx. 4.2 miles away); Forest Hill Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Birthplace of Margo Jones Locomotive No. 5 (approx. 6.4 miles away); Early Indian Trails (approx. 6.4 miles away); Site of Old Andress Inn (was approx. 6½ miles away but has been reported missing. ); Polk County (approx. 6½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livingston.
More about this marker. The town of Swartwout is today largely under Lake Livingston which was created by damming the Trinity River, the second largest river in Texas. This marker was moved to land before the lake filled. It is now on the property of Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church.
Regarding Site of the Town of Swartwout. Texas Ghost Town
Swartwout is considered a submerged Texas Ghost Town.
Locals call the town Swartout omitting the W. The correct name is Swartwout after the man it was named for.
Swartwout was originally a ferry landing that became a river port. After there was no more need for the ferry and port almost everyone except black farm laborers moved away.
Also see . . .
1. Swartwout in the Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on December 16, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. Article about Swartwout. (Submitted on December 16, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
3. Article on Samuel Swartwout for whom the settlement was named. The town was named for him because of the financial aid he gave to the Texians during the Texas War for Independence from Mexico (Submitted on December 16, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 208 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on June 25, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.