Bowie in Montague County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Bowie Cemetery Association formed during the early years of the cemetery’s existence, although the exact date of its organization is unknown. The association handled the business of the cemetery until 1938, when the cemetery association officially deeded the burial ground to the city of Bowie. In 1981, due to the expansion of Lake Amon G. Carter, the graves located at Tarter Cemetery were relocated to Elmwood. Portions of a native stone wall that was constructed along Patterson and Nelson Streets by employees of the Civilian Conservation Corps 1935-1937 remain today.
The cemetery contains burials of veterans from the Civil War,
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16324.)
Location. 33° 33.251′ N, 97° 49.922′ W. Marker is in Bowie, Texas, in Montague County. Marker is on East Nelson Street north of Pelham Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bowie TX 76230, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First National Bank of Bowie (approx. one mile away); Montague County (approx. 1.6 miles away); Home County of Governor James V. Allred (approx. 1.6 miles away); United Methodist Church of Montague (approx. 9.9 miles away); Montague Catholic Cemetery (approx. 10.3 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 26, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.