Junction City in Lane County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Junction City’s First Jail
In 1878, the City Council entered into a contract to build a City Hall for $350.00 on the southwest corner of 6th Avenue and Greenwood Street. “As the city grew, a “city hall” was built and the main room on the first floor was the engine room where the hook and ladder, hose, reel and other fire fighting apparatus was kept, while in the rear was the stable where a good team of horses was always in readiness for the engine when a fire alarm was given.”
In his book, “Early Days of Junction City, Oregon,” 1978, Chris T. Wilde mentions the jail at least four times:
Page 16, “The 1873 tiny red jail, and the old white two-story city hall....”
Page 29, Greenwood Street, “...two-storied, white City Hall was north across the street. Then came the tiny red jail...”
Page 219, “The tiny, red jail was built for $84.37, by Thomas Humphrey. It stood on the north side of the present U.S. Bank's parking lot. The city hall was built just south of it, March 14, 1879, for $350 by S. Stanus. The jail,
Page 426, “The two-storied white city hall was built on the very corner of Sixth Avenue and Greenwood, in 1878, by S. Stanus for $350. The tiny red jail, was back off the street, just north of the hall on Greenwood, built around 1873... The bank building was built in 1912 (on the NW corner of 6th & Greenwood). The City Hall was moved to Eighth and Greenwood. A new jail, built of 2 x 4s nailed flat and laminated, was built back of the city hall, on the alley. It was used until 1931 when the new [current] city hall incorporated a jail. This  jail was burned down. The city hall was taken down, around 1938.”
The Nill family of Guaranty Chevrolet donated this building to the Junction City Historical Society when they bought the property on West 1st Avenue and High Pass Road to use for their business purposes.
Erected by Junction City Historical Society.
Location. 44° 13.033′ N, 123° 12.181′ W. Marker is in Junction City, Oregon, in Lane County. Marker can be reached from W 4th Avenue east of Holly Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 289 W 4th Avenue, Junction City OR 97448, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Locomotive 418 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Junction City — A Brief History (about 800 feet away); Lee House (approx. 0.2 miles away); “The Struggle Has Ended” (approx. 4˝ miles away); Smithfield (approx. 6.6 miles away); West Side Old Territorial Road (approx. 6.7 miles away); Wilhelm Mill Water Wheel (approx. 8 miles away); The Belknap Settlement (approx. 8.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction City.
Also see . . . Junction City's "New" Prison. (Submitted on June 28, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Categories. • Law Enforcement •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 28, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.