Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Riggins in Idaho County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

Entrepreneur J.J. Goff

Goff Trail and Ferry

 

—Salmon River Heritage Waking Tour —

 
Entrepreneur J.J. Goff Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 4, 2018
1. Entrepreneur J.J. Goff Marker
Captions: (middle top) This photo of Goff Ferry, shown on the middle-left, was taken during the construction of the first Goff bridge in 1911.; (center) Goff Hotel and Store. (side-bar on right) Goff's Bridges.
Inscription. Before the wagon road from White Bird to Meadows was completed in 1903, travelers endured a trecherous (sic) and roundabout overland journey. Seeing the need for a faster and more direct route, the enterprising J.J. Goff offered ferry service across the Salmon River at Race Creek and built a one-mile trail from Race Creek to Gouge-Eye Flat. Parts of the primitive trail are still visible today.

Goff’s Exclusive Rights
In 1866, Idaho County Commissioners granted J.J. Goff the exclusive right to establish toll charges for his trail and ferry on Race Creek.

Goff Toll Trail Toll Charges
$1.00 ... Man and horse
1.00 ... Loaded pack animal
.50 ... Pack animal, light
.25 ... Per head of loose cattle, horse, or mules
.10 ... Per head of sheep or swine

Salmon River Ferry Tool Charges
$1.00 ... Man and horse
1.00 ... Loaded pack animal
.50 ... Pack animal, light
.50 ... Per head of loose horses, or mules or neat cattle
.15 ... Per head of sheep or swine
.50 ... Footman

Goff -- Salmon River Stage Stop
By the late 1870s, the area at the mouth of Race Creek was known as “Goff.” Ever the entrepreneur, Goff bought the Race Creek property,
Entrepreneur J.J. Goff Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 4, 2018
2. Entrepreneur J.J. Goff Marker
including a stone house and race. The race, or water ditch, was used for irrigation and nearby placer mining. In 1894, John Levander purchased the property, built the Goff Hotel and Store, and established a post office and stage stop. Levander’s sons, Homer and Edgar, also operated the nearby Goff Ferry.

(Side-bar on right:)
Goff Bridges
The first automobile bridge spanning the Salmon River at Goff was built in 1911 and 1912 at the then astronomical cost of $15,000. Construction of this bridge completed the first auto road between north and south Idaho.
The original bridge was replaced in 1934 with a $34,000 bridge that lasted 65 years.
In 1999, the bridge was replaced with the present modern design at today’s thrifty sum of 12.4 million dollars.
 
Erected by City of Riggins.
 
Location. 45° 25.566′ N, 116° 18.726′ W. Marker is in Riggins, Idaho, in Idaho County. Marker is on North Main Street (U.S. 95) near Orchard Lane, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 516 North Main Street, Riggins ID 83549, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. From The Beginning (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Manning Crevice Bridge (about 600 feet away); The Scow (about 600 feet away); Riggins Area Honor Roll (approx. 0.2 miles away); Keeping the Faith (approx. 0.2 miles away); Educating Riggins' Children (approx. ¼ mile away); Early Businesses (approx. 0.3 miles away); Riggins in the 1940s (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Riggins.
 
Categories. Bridges & ViaductsRoads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 28, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement