Walters in Cotton County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Founded August 6, 1901
After the flood of May 1902, the town moved south to higher ground. When Cotton Co. was created in 1912, voters chose Walters the county seat.
Home to the Comanche Nation homecoming each July. Hometown to 8 of the original 17 “Code Talkers,” who spoke Comanche to provide U.S. Forces with a language that could not be decoded during World War II.
In the 1930ís, Walters was known as the “Turkey Capital of the World.” Still the hub of rich cotton, wheat, cattle and oil operations. Walters has many fine businesses and a school system that has produced national and state leaders as well as champion scholars and athletes. Active civic clubs,
Erected 2001 by Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 241.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society marker series.
Location. 34° 21.713′ N, 98° 19.063′ W. Marker is in Walters, Oklahoma, in Cotton County. Marker is on West Missouri Avenue (Oklahoma Route 5) west of North 9th Street, on the right when traveling east. Near the Cotton County Expo Building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Walters OK 73572, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Also see . . . Oklahoma Historical Society on Walters. (Submitted on June 28, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Disasters • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Walters, Oklahoma.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.