Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Canute in Washita County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Canute

 
 
Canute Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 26, 2018
1. Canute Marker
Inscription. Early inhabitants of the area were plains Indians who followed and hunted the roaming herds of buffalo that grazed the rich grasslands of this area. evidence of several Indian encampments have been located on Trail Elk, Turkey and Oak Creeks as well as Indian Springs.

In 1541, Spanish explorer Coronado crossed Western Oklahoma in search of fabled cities of gold. For the next 350 years Spaniards, Mexicans and Americans searched for gold in the Canute area. Somewhere along Turkey Creek may have once thrived the fabled Mexican gold mining town of Cascorillo. The wealth they sought in vain was found by later residents in the form of wheat, cattle, oil and natural gas.

Texas cattle moved through the area after the Civil War to the railhead and markets in Kansas. The Great Western Trail crossed present day I-40 approximately one and one half miles east of present day Canute.

Farmers and ranchers arrived in the Land Run of 1892 with the opening of the Cheyenne-Arapaho Territory. The final location of Canute was settled in 1902 by lottery. The winner paid $10.00 for a lot. The Canute Bank is the oldest state chartered bank still in operation.

Another major source of the area's prosperity was the discovery of oil in the early 1900's and later natural gas. The first well drilled in Western Oklahoma
Canute Marker second from right among the five markers. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 26, 2018
2. Canute Marker second from right among the five markers.
was on the C. H. Wilcox farm one mile northeast of Canute in 1917 the deepest well in the world at the time was drilled to 31441 feet and was located approximately 10 miles southeast of Canute.
 
Erected 1994 by Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 218.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 35° 25.305′ N, 99° 16.287′ W. Marker is near Canute, Oklahoma, in Washita County. Marker is on Old U.S. 66 0.3 miles east of County Road N2080, in the median. Touch for map. Located near the Holy Family Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Canute OK 73626, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. David Lee Walters (here, next to this marker); Canute Centennial (here, next to this marker); St. Francis Church (here, next to this marker); Great Western Cattle Trail (here, next to this marker).
 
Also see . . .  Oklahoma Historical Society on Canute. (Submitted on June 29, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. ExplorationIndustry & CommerceNative AmericansWaterways & Vessels
 
Marker is second from front, with the Holy Family & Canute Cemeteries in background. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 26, 2018
3. Marker is second from front, with the Holy Family & Canute Cemeteries in background.
Another marker, to the right - notes important dates in Canute's history. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 26, 2018
4. Another marker, to the right - notes important dates in Canute's history.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 59 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 28, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.   3, 4. submitted on June 29, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement