Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lancaster in Fairfield County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Camp Anderson

(1861–1865)

 
 
Camp Anderson Marker, Side One image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 8, 2018
1. Camp Anderson Marker, Side One
Inscription. Fairfield County quickly mobilized after the attack on Ft. Sumter, South Carolina on April 12, 1861 and the beginning of the Civil War. Parts of the county fairgrounds became Camp Anderson, in honor of Major Robert Anderson who commanded Fort Sumter during the attack. Enlisted men were trained there before being sent to war. Meanwhile the existing militia company—the Lancaster Guards—plus new volunteers reported for duty at the Ohio Statehouse. They had the honor of being designated Company A for the 1st Ohio Volunteer Infantry. The 1st OVI became the Capital Guard in Washington DC.

Another 185 local men enlisted at Camp Anderson as the 2nd and 3rd Lancaster Guards in 1861. These Fairfield County units made up much of the 17th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Few units besides the 17th, if any, had more local men in the field during the war. They saw action in Chickamauga and Chattanooga, Tennessee and joined Lancasterís own General William Tecumseh Sherman in his March to the Sea in 1864. The 17th OVI was mustered out of the Army on August 15, 1864 with 27 men, one-fourth of the approximately 100 who enlisted.
 
Erected 2013 by Ciwil War 150 Alliance—Fairfield County, the Fairfield County Agricultural Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 10-23.)
Camp Anderson Marker, Side Two image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 8, 2018
2. Camp Anderson Marker, Side Two

 
Location. 39° 43.479′ N, 82° 35.887′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Ohio, in Fairfield County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North High Street (Ohio Route 37) and East Fair Avenue. Touch for map. To see the marker, enter the fairgrounds via the Broad Street gate on E. Fair Ave and immediately turn right. Marker is at or near this postal address: 159 E Fair Ave, Lancaster OH 43130, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. C & O Depot at Carroll, Ohio (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dumontville General Store (about 500 feet away); Liberty Township No. 6 School (about 600 feet away); Pioneer Log House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rising Park Centennial Celebration (approx. 0.2 miles away); Standing Stone National Bank (approx. 0.3 miles away); Civil War Union Soldiers Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); 166th Infantry 42nd Division World War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
 
Also see . . .  Ohio History Connection Entry. “While the state militia system had deteriorated throughout the first half of the nineteenth century, numerous communities had maintained units. These units existed primarily to march in parades and to provide
Camp Anderson Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 8, 2018
3. Camp Anderson Marker
young men with something to do in their spare time. These militia units provided Ohioans with a basic force to provide Ohio with protection from a Confederate invasion” (Submitted on June 30, 2018.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Camp Anderson Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 8, 2018
4. Camp Anderson Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2018, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 69 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 30, 2018, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement