Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Owosso in Shiawassee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Congregational Church and Society

 
 
First Congregational Church and Society Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, June 23, 2018
1. First Congregational Church and Society Marker
Inscription. In 1840 thirteen people founded a Presbyterian congregation on the principles of opposition to slavery and "total abstinence from all intoxicating liquors as a beverage." It was the first church established in Owosso. In 1853 the congregation reorganized as the First Congregational Church and Society, but continued to meet in a schoolhouse where it had worshipped for thirteen years. Two years later a small brick and frame church was erected on this site. It was razed in 1891 and replaced with the present building. Constructed in 1892 of fieldstones gathered from local farms, the church has stained-glass windows dedicated to Owosso pioneers. The Detroit firm of Malcolmson and Higginbotham designed this Neo-Roamanesque structure.
 
Erected 1995 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1806.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 0.032′ N, 84° 10.251′ W. Marker is in Owosso, Michigan, in Shiawassee County. Marker is at the intersection of North Washington Street and West Williams Street, on the left when traveling north on North Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 327 North Washington Street, Owosso MI 48867, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
First Congregational Church and Society Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, June 23, 2018
2. First Congregational Church and Society Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Site of the First School House in Owosso (within shouting distance of this marker); Homesite of Doctor John B. Barnes (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Studio of James Oliver Curwood (approx. mile away); Curwood Castle (approx. mile away); Comstock Cabin (approx. mile away); a different marker also named Curwood Castle (approx. mile away); Judge Elias Comstock (approx. mile away); Birthplace of Thomas Edmund Dewey (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Owosso.
 
Also see . . .  Church History. (Submitted on June 30, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 30, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Picture without the scaffolding and pictures of the stained-glass windows. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement