Rio Grande City in Starr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Immaculate Conception School
In 1884 the Rev. R. M. Olivier, O.M.I., asked the Sisters of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio to start a school in Rio Grande City. Three nuns were sent here and by 1885 were teaching 100 day students in a 3-room school. The Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament came to teach in 1900, followed by the Sisters of Mercy in 1920. The School Sisters of Notre Dame undertook the mission of the school in 1985. Throughout its history, dedicated laity joined the sisters in providing a strong Christian and educational foundation. It enjoys support from the church and community.
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2620.)
Location. 26° 22.855′ N, 98° 49.214′ W. Marker is in Rio Grande City, Texas, in Starr County. Marker is at the intersection of North Britton Avenue and 3rd Street (Canales Brothers Street), on the right when traveling south on North Britton Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is located beside the Immaculate Conception School sign at the intersection, facing east toward Britton Avenue. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gregorio Barrera (within shouting distance of this marker); José de Escandón (within shouting distance of this marker); Starr County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rio Grande City, C.S.A (about 500 feet away); Site of Old Rancho Davis (about 600 feet away); Site of Cortina Battle (about 700 feet away); Historic Rio Grande City (about 700 feet away); San Agustín de Laredo a Visita (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rio Grande City.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.