Red House in Cattaraugus County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Allegany State Park's Camp Allegany
This ca. 1930 photograph shows the original mess hall and double cabins at Group Camp 11.
Camp Allegany is one of Allegany State Park's 12 group camps. Constructed in 1928, the camp was designated Group Camp 11 and consisted of a mess hall, which doubled as a recreation hall, five barracks consisting of double cabins, a swimming pool, and playing fields. Support facilities included a spring house, wash shed, and three single latrines. Between 1928 and 1935 it was rented to different organizations, including the Boy Scouts and YMCA.
In 1935, Camp Sprucelands, an esquestrian camp for girls, was established at Group Camp 11. In 1946, the camp directors moved to Java Center where another Camp Sprucelands still exists today. Camp 11 continued to be called "Sprucelands" and remained an equestrian camp for a number of years.
Y.A.C.C at Group Camp 11
Young Adult Conservation Corps (Y.A.C.C.) was a federal program modeled after the Civilian Conservation Corps of the 1930s. Between 1977 and 1982, Allegany State Park's Y.A.C.C. camp was involved in a variety of trail, forestry, and construction projects. The Y.A.C.C. also worked on Group Camp 11, relocating the old barracks, rehabilitating the mess hall, and constructing
Sprucelands postcard, ca. 1955.
Riding the trail through the pines, ca. 1955.
Sprucelands campers ca. 1955.
Y.A.C.C. crews demolished old cabins on Beehunter Trail and built new ones under the direction of the Allegany State Park staff.
Camp Allegany, December 2006.
Boy scouts perform tests on maple sap at the Camp Allegany classroom, March 2007.
School of Environmental Science and Forestry
The S.U.N.Y. School of Environmental Science and Forestry (E.S.F.) leased Camp Allegany from the park from 1982 to 1993. As part of the agreement, the park constructed a classroom building in 1986. E.S.F. used Camp Allegany as a forestry field station, and conducted research there on beavers for 15 years. While E.S.F.'s lease was in place, schools and other groups could make arrangements with the college to use the camp.
After 1993, B.O.C.E.S. and other groups offered educational programs at Camp Allegany. These included the Cattaraugus County Mental Health Association, the Buffalo Museum of Science, scouting groups, and Nature Ed-Ventures. Park interpretive staff was involved in some programming.
Groups came for day visits, overnights, or longer stays. The camp, available year round, was the site of a popular maple sugaring program, offered throughout the month of March by Nature Ed-Ventures.
Erected by Family of Helen Smith.
Location. 42° 5.955′ N, 78° 43.401′ W. Marker is in Red House, New York, in Cattaraugus County. Marker can be reached from Camp Allegany & Bova Cottages Road 0.2 miles east of ASP Route 2. Touch for map. Camp Allegany is rented by groups. Respect their privacy when the camp is occupied. Marker is in this post office area: Limestone NY 14753, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Civilian Conservation Corps (approx. 1.3 miles away); Weather Station (approx. 1.4 miles away); Outdoor Museum (approx. 1.4 miles away); Stoddard Hollow (approx. 1.4 miles away); Ski Jumping (approx. 1½ miles away); Fire Observation Stations: / Fire Tower is Reborn (approx. 2.2 miles away); Sweet Water Spring (approx. 2.8 miles away); Dedicated to Those from the Salamanca Area (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Red House.
Also see . . . Camp Allegany Rec. Hall - You Tube. Paul Crawford, President of the Friends of Allegany State Park, has posted on his You Tube channel six vignettes of Camp Allegany from February 5, 2018. This one shows the marker. (Submitted on June 30, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Parks & Recreational Areas •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 84 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 30, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.