San Benito in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Water District Building
Designed by Austin architects Endress and Walsh and built by contractor L. Fleming, the San Benito Land and Water Company building was completed in 1910 at a cost of $14,386. Thirty-foot pine beams and locally made brick were used to construct the home of the company. A fine example of the mission revival style, the edifice features a red tile roof, wooden bracketed eaves, a stucco exterior, and curved gable parapets. The building has been home to many San Benito institutions, notably the irrigation and drainage districts. A beloved fixture of downtown San Benito, it stands as a memorial to the vital role of irrigation in valley life.
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11789.)
Location. 26° 7.84′ N, 97° 37.985′ W. Marker is in San Benito, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is on South Sam Houston Boulevard (State Highway 345) south of Robertson Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, directly in front of the subject building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 216 South Sam Houston Boulevard, San Benito TX 78586, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other First Methodist Church of San Benito (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic U.S. Post Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); San Benito Post Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Harlingen (approx. 5.8 miles away); Iraqi D-20 152mm Howitzer (approx. 6.7 miles away); Near Routes of Alonso de Leon Expeditions (approx. 10˝ miles away); Palo Alto Battlefield (approx. 12.4 miles away); a different marker also named Palo Alto Battlefield (approx. 12.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Benito.
Regarding Water District Building. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (1997)
Also see . . .
1. Chamber of Commerce Office. Existence of the San Benito Commercial Club, as a full-fledged organization, is mentioned in the official roster of commercial organizations in Texas in 1910. This fact is confirmed by Paul Cottrell, pioneer newspaper editor of the city. The first office of the San Benito Commercial Club was located in the Missouri Pacific Railroad building where the present ticket office is now. The chamber of commerce offices since then have been in various locations, including the city building, the Stonewall Jackson Hotel, the water district building and, since 1957, in the new Community Building. (Submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Historic San Benito building to be renovated. Pablo Gabriel Vega and Shirley Vega of San Benito recently bought the historic Cameron County Irrigation District No. 2 building and are converting it into a professional office space in San Benito. The Mission-style architecture of the building still has many of its original features, including the flooring and doors as well as door trims and even two closet safes. (Submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.