Marshall in Harrison County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created January 28, 1839 Organized June 12, 1842
Named in honor of
A pioneer statesman of New Jersey
who came to Texas in 1820
A member of the First Convention of Texas
held at San Felipe in 1832
Died in 1836
Marshall, the county seat
Named in honor of John Marshall,
Chief Justice of the
United States Supreme Court
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 10175.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 32° 31.202′ N, 94° 15.048′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Texas, in Harrison County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 80 0.8 miles west of County Road 2199, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8612 US-80, Marshall TX 75672, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Roadside Park (here, next to this marker); Marshall-Shreveport Stagecoach Road (approx. 5.1 miles away); Trammel's Trace Cabin Site of The Capitol Hotel (approx. 6.9 miles away); Telegraph Park (approx. 7 miles away); Governor Edward Clark (approx. 7 miles away); General Elkanah Greer / Knights of the Golden Circle (approx. 7 miles away); James Harper Starr (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
More about this marker. This marker was restored in 1975.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association article on Jonas Harrison. (Submitted on July 1, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 1, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 1, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.