San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The San Antonio River
The San Antonio River begins four miles north of here, fed by springs that rise from the Edwards Aquifer deep below the Texas Hill Country. The river is also fed by tributaries along its winding, southeasterly course to join the Guadalupe River near the Gulf of Mexico. A rich array of vegetation and wildlife sustained Native Americans who camped near the river for thousands of years. After the Spanish established a permanent settlement at San Antonio in 1718, missions, forts, and homes were built dose to the river that provided water for agricultural and house-hold use. The meandering waterway remained essential to the growing population until the 1890s when deep artesian wells were drilled to access a steady, pure water supply. Though no longer the city's primary water source, the river was still a centerpiece of the community that some envisioned as a linear park. In 1941 efforts to beautify the river culminated with the dedication of a major Works Progress Administration project in downtown San Antonio. Extended north and south of the city center in the early 21st century to a length of thirteen miles, the San Antonio River Walk has become one of America's unique urban amenities.
Location. 29° 25.865′ N, 98° 29.403′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker can be reached from Navarro Street north of Hagner Arc, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located on the San Antonio River Walk, on the north side of the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Navarro Street Bridge (here, next to this marker); Mayor Maury Maverick Mural (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Hugman Dam (about 700 feet away); Missions in the San Antonio River Valley (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named The San Antonio River (about 800 feet away); The River in the 1900s (about 800 feet away); River Communities (about 800 feet away); The River in the 1800's (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Also see . . .
1. The San Antonio River. Although the San Antonio River has furnished drinking and irrigation water as well as power to turn the wheels of mills, foundries, and tanneries, in recent times it has been most significant for its beauty. In the city of San Antonio, where it is spanned by more than fifty bridges, this unhurried stream runs fifteen miles across six miles of city blocks. In 1939 a $300,000 river-beautification project, financed by a city bond issue and a Work Projects Administration grant, was inaugurated. The river was made a pedestrian thoroughfare flanked by walks from all principal downtown streets. (Submitted on July 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. San Antonio River Walk. The San Antonio River Walk (also (Submitted on July 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.