Madisonville in Madison County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Madisonville
Despite lean years, the congregation erected its first permanent home in 1889-1890. Church women led fund raising efforts to provide a bell and organ for the new building. In 1902, as part of a statewide Baptist division, six members left the church to form the Madisonville Missionary Baptist church and the original congregation became the First Baptist Church in 1903. The two congregations were reunited in 1913 with a combined membership of 217. The following year, weekly services began. A new building was erected and a church complex began to take shape.
The congregation became active in mission work in the 1950s, supporting a total of eighteen missions. In 1983, the First Baptist Hispanic Mission of Madisonville was established. This work continued through the 20th century.
The founders of the
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12041.)
Location. 30° 56.868′ N, 95° 54.862′ W. Marker is in Madisonville, Texas, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of West Trinity Street and South Elm Street, on the right when traveling east on West Trinity Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 South Elm Street, Madisonville TX 77864, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Truman Kimbro (within shouting distance of this marker); Madison County (approx. 0.9 miles away); El Camino Real (approx. 13.1 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.