College Station in Brazos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early Texas A&M Campus Housing
By 1938, there were more than one hundred homes on campus. The types of houses varied, ranging from large Queen Anne style homes to small bungalows and cottages. The homes were located throughout the campus.
When the City of College Station was incorporated in 1938, housing in town became available, and the decision was made to remove the faculty housing. Many residents expressed a desire to buy their homes, and the college began accepting bids in 1941. One third of the houses were soon sold, with prices ranging from $200-$800. Another third were sold and moved over the next twenty years. The rest of the original structures were burned or razed. None remain on campus.
Forty-one of the original homes have been located. Thirty-eight are in College Station, two are in Bryan, and one is about two miles north of Bryan.
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8675.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is located on the Texas A&M University campus in Aggie Park, between Kyle Field and the Sanders Corps of Cadets Center. Marker is in this post office area: College Station TX 77840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Texas A&M Corps of Cadets (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Play-By-Play Radio Broadcast of a College Football Game (about 600 feet away); Main Drill Field, Texas A&M University (approx. ¼ mile away); Nagle Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Texas AMC and WWI (approx. 0.3 miles away); Academic Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); College Station Railroad Depots (approx. 0.4 miles away); Francis Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in College Station.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.