Markleeville in Alpine County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Markleeville General Store
Inscription. On August 2, 1885, fire broke out in the Town of Markleeville destroying several buildings, including Harvey and Rask’s Bucher Shop and Smokehouse. Later on in the Fall, the building was rebuilt and reopened as Rask’s Butcher Shop.
The building today, contains the original section plus additions, made in the 1890’s and 1950’s. The old cooler room, now referred to as the Antiques Room, has 12 inches of sawdust in its 14 inch walls for insulation.
In the early 1900’s it changed into a general store. Through the years a soda fountain, service station and Post Office have been added and taken away, as the needs of the area and the times dictated. It still stands in the shadow of the Sierra’s to serve the needs of both residents and travelers alike throughout Alpine County.
By Syd Whittle, July 31, 2006
1. Markleeville General Store Marker
Erected 2005 by Snowshoe Thompson Chapter 1827 E Clampus Vitus, July 30, 2005.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 38° 41.668′ N, 119° 46.779′ W. Marker is in Markleeville, California, in Alpine County. Touch for map. Marker is mounted on the Markleeville General Store building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14799 Hwy 89, Markleeville CA 96120, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least
8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alpine County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Alpine Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob Markley (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hangman's Bridge & Vigilante Justice (approx. 0.2 miles away); Webster School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alpine County Historical Complex (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Webster School (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lost Whiskey of Raymond (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Markleeville.
By Syd Whittle, July 31, 2006
2. Markleeville General StoreMarker is located on the wall to the left of the window.
Also see . . . The Record Courier: Markleeville General Store. (Submitted on October 1, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
My Place Postcards drawn by Bill Goggin, Publ by Hunter, Rough & Ready, C
3. Markleeville General StoreMarkleeville, California
This tiny town has the honor of being the County Seat of California's least populated county...Courthouse now on site of Jacob Marklee's 1861 cabin...Hw was shot to death 2 years after founding town...Decline of silver mining after 1875 drastically lowered population...1886 fire destroyed much of the original town. First explored in 1843 by John Fremont who sighted Lake Tahoe from 8600' Carson Pass...Discovery of silver in Hope Valley in 1855 pre-dated Comstock Lode by years.
By Frasher Foto
4. Postcard - Markleeville General Store - 1950'sStore, Fountain, Lunch Counter, Groveries, Service Station
On scenic Ebbetts Pass Highway across the High Sierras
By Frashers Foto
5. Vintage Postcard - Wintertime at Markleeville, Alpine County, Ca
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,381 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 1, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 5. submitted on October 4, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.