Whitehall in Muskegon County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Lumbering on White Lake / Staples and Covell Mill
side 1 – Lumbering on White Lake
Charles Mears built White Lake’s first sawmill in 1838. Four mills operated on White River tributaries during the next decade. Axmen, swampers, skidders, loaders, and haulers cut and moved pine, hemlock, and cedar logs to the White River, where they were floated to the White River Log and Booming Company pens. There they were sorted and rafted to mills that produced lumber, shingles, lath, and pickets. In 1883, there were twenty-four mills in Whitehall and the vicinity. Lumber was rafted down the lake and carried on barges to ships in Lake Michigan. Between 1838 and 1907 White Lake mills shipped over 3 billion board feet of lumber. The lumbering era ended on White lake when the Staples and Covell Mill closed in 1907.
side 2 – Staples and Covell Mill
The first steam-powered lumber mill in Whitehall was erected on this site in 1856. Purchased in 1871 by Hiram Staples and Lyman Covell of the Staples and Covell Lumber Company, it operated until 1874. The new mill, built in 1875, was the largest and most modern on White Lake and had four saws and an 80-foot smokestack. By 1884, sixty men were earning between $1.37 and $3.50 per day at the mill and could turn 1,400 logs into 60,000 board feet of lumber during an 11-hour shift. In 1894 the mill produced
Erected 2006 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2167.)
Location. 43° 24.759′ N, 86° 21.038′ W. Marker is in Whitehall, Michigan, in Muskegon County. Marker is on Thompson Street (Business U.S. 31) 0.1 miles north of West Hanson Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in Covell Park, near the Whitehall Trail parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Whitehall MI 49461, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. White Lake Yacht CLub (approx. 4˝ miles away); Jean Baptiste Recollect Trading Post (approx. 12 miles away); Muskegon Fishing Reef (approx. 13.1 miles away); Buster Keaton (approx. 13.2 miles away); Union Depot (approx. 13.3 miles away); Hume House (approx. 13.4 miles away); Hackley House (approx. 13.4 miles away); Bluffton Actors' Colony / Buster Keaton (approx. 13˝ miles away).
Also see . . . Charles Mears. Charles Mears was a Michigan lumber businessman, (Submitted on July 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.