Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kyle in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

WPA Projects at Kyle School

 
 
WPA Projects at Kyle School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, July 3, 2018
1. WPA Projects at Kyle School Marker
Inscription. Public education in the Kyle area dates to the Texas Constitution of 1876 and its establishment of a statewide free school system. Under this legislation, school trustees D.A. Barbee, D.J.B. Barbee and Captain Fergus Kyle founded the Summit School that same year one mile northwest of Kyle. In 1877 the nearby Blanco Chapel School first held classes, and the two schools soon consolidated as Independence Hall. Citizens moved the Independence Hall schoolhouse to this site in 1890, marking the beginning of the Kyle Public Free School.

The school grew steadily with the town, adding facilities to the campus, and by the 1930s the school board applied to the federal government for construction funds for a combination auditorium/gymnasium and a home economics cottage. Through the Works Progress Administration (WPA), a New Deal agency active during the Great Depression, the U.S. government paid for about three-fourths of the cost, while Kyle voters approved a bond issue in February 1935 to fund the remainder. Work on the project began in January 1936, giving jobs to 29 men, and also resulting in general improvements to the school grounds and athletic fields. Voters approved additional bonds to complete the project in September 1936, and supplemental WPA funding helped pay for a new main classroom building in 1938.

The WPA buildings
WPA Projects at Kyle School Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore
2. WPA Projects at Kyle School Marker Area
at the Kyle campus, crafted by local labor and built of locally quarried limestone, have served since their construction as educational facilities and social centers. Kyle merged with other county schools in 1967 to form the Hays Consolidated Independent School District.
 
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13939.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
 
Location. 29° 59.489′ N, 97° 52.685′ W. Marker is in Kyle, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is at the intersection of North Nance Street and Blanco Street, on the left when traveling north on North Nance Street. Touch for map. The marker is on the southeast corner of the Earnest Kimbro Multipurpose Building. Marker is in this post office area: Kyle TX 78640, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Kyle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Katherine Anne Porter (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kyle (approx. mile away); Cora Jackman Donalson House (approx. mile away); The Kyle Auction Oak (approx. mile away); Bunton Branch Bridge (approx. 2.2 miles away); Kyle Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); Kyle Pioneer Family Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kyle.
 
Categories. Education
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement