Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Andreas in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Fourth Crossing

 
 
Fourth Crossing Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, May 18, 2006
1. Fourth Crossing Marker
Inscription. Located on the Stockton-Murphy Road at the fourth crossing of the Calaveras River, this early mining settlement, once called Foremans, was famous in the 1850's for its rich placer ores. Later, it became an important stage and freighting depot and served the Southern Mines until after the turn of the century.
 
Erected 1965 by The California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Calaveras County Historical Society, October 23, 1965. (Marker Number 258.)
 
Location. 38° 7.837′ N, 120° 38.071′ W. Marker is in San Andreas, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is on State Highway 49, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Andreas CA 95249, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Calaveritas (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Costa Store (approx. 2.3 miles away); Attempted Stage Robbery (approx. 4.3 miles away); The Red Barn (approx. 4.4 miles away); Calaveras County Hospital Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Altaville Grammar School (approx. 5.1 miles away); San Andreas (approx. 5.2 miles away); First Restaurant in Town (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Andreas.
 
Regarding Fourth Crossing.
Fourth Crossing Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, May 18, 2006
2. Fourth Crossing Marker
This settlement was located on the old Stockton Road between Stockton and Murphys Diggin's. It was the fourth crossing of the Calaveras River. Today the site sits on the San Antonio Creek, which in the 1850s was called "South Calaveras". The settlement was first called Foreman's Upper Ranch. It was acquired by William B. Reddick in 1858 and was then known as Reddick's or 15-Mile House.

Postal authorities established a Fourth Crossing Post Office in 1855. This was discontinued in 1888 and then re-established in 1892. It was then discontinued again in 1925.

This sites has been designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.258
 
Categories. Bridges & ViaductsIndustry & CommerceLandmarksNatural ResourcesNotable PlacesRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Fourth Crossing Toll Road Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, May 18, 2006
3. Fourth Crossing Toll Road Bridge
Alex C. Beritzhoff, the first keeper of the old hotel, was also the first to conduct the toll bridge, built in 1853. This was the only bridge in the area (Mokelumne, Calaveras, Stanislaus and Tuolemne Rivers) that did not wash away during the floods of the winter of 1861-62 and is the oldest existing bridge in the State of California.
Fourth Crossing Toll Road Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 20, 2010
4. Fourth Crossing Toll Road Bridge
This road was the original Highway 49 prior to realignment to its current route.
The Bridge image. Click for full size.
5. The Bridge
Re-photo of picture taken circa 1980's by Mary Helen Ponte.
John Reddick House, Fourth Crossing image. Click for more information.
By Roger Sturtevant, Photographer, April 5, 1934
6. John Reddick House, Fourth Crossing
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
HABS CAL,5-FOUR,1-
Click for more information.
John Reddick House image. Click for full size.
Wells Fargo Bank Historical Museum
7. John Reddick House
Library of Congress - HABS

The two-story building on the left was the hotel. The building on the right was the dining hall.

The top story of the dining hall was later moved north and converted into a house.
Original Top Floor of the Dining Hall image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 20, 2010
8. Original Top Floor of the Dining Hall
Original Top Floor of the Dining Hall image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 20, 2010
9. Original Top Floor of the Dining Hall
Barn Building image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 20, 2010
10. Barn Building
This barn was originally two stories and was one of two barns used as part of the relay station for the stagecoach line.
The Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 20, 2010
11. The Cemetery
This small wooden fence surrounding a grave site is the only remaining sign of the cemetery which is reported to contain about forty graves.
Grave Site at Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Mary Helen Ponte, circa 1980's
12. Grave Site at Cemetery
This photo of an original wooden grave marker marked the grave of a small child buried at the Fourth Crossing Cemetery.
Frances J Walker
Born
Oct 17, 1861
Died
Oct 27, 1864
Fourth Crossing Post Mark Dated June 1, 1908 image. Click for full size.
13. Fourth Crossing Post Mark Dated June 1, 1908
This postmark is on a postcard of a Calaveras Big Trees State Park Scene, circa 1900.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,014 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 1, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   4, 5. submitted on July 20, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   6. submitted on April 14, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on July 20, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   12. submitted on October 16, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   13. submitted on October 1, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement