Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cooper in Delta County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Texas Livery Stable

 
 
The Texas Livery Stable Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
1. The Texas Livery Stable Marker
Inscription. Had animal-drawn vehicles and saddle horses for hire. Served doctors on calls; people arriving on or meeting trains; lawyers attending court;"drummers" (salesmen) on local rounds; land seekers; hunters and fishermen; young men courting; ladies out visiting. Usually housed in a good frame or brick building; stalls, harness rooms, office might cover a block. Pasture was nearby. Boarded teams of businessmen and townspeople. Provided hearses, funeral carriages.

Stable was town's "club"—for men trading, meeting visitors, getting news. After school, used boys for deliveries; they took along horses to ride back to barn. They painted, polished carriages; groomed, fed horses. Tramps cleaned stables, slept in hay. Manager often "doctored" animals, sometimes was an undertaker.

Fine saddle horses and rigs stood out front, for show -- top buggies, with storm curtains; plush-lined hacks; Studebaker dray wagons. Rent: $3 to $5 a day.

On this courthouse site (until 1912) was Blackwell Livery Stable. To the east (1880 - 1914) Nidever Livery Stable kept city fire engine team at its front. In minutes after an alarm, had fire wagon on its way.

A centuries-old institution, the livery stable vanished about 1915. No true successor replaced it. Early travel, communication and transportation series.

The Texas Livery Stable Marker at Delta County Courthouse. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
2. The Texas Livery Stable Marker at Delta County Courthouse.

 
Erected 1966 by the Moody Foundation. (Marker Number 6948.)
 
Location. 33° 22.437′ N, 95° 41.383′ W. Marker is in Cooper, Texas, in Delta County. Marker is on West Dallas Avenue (Texas Route 154), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located on the Delta County Courthouse lawn. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 West Dallas Avenue, Cooper TX 75432, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First National Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cooper Rail Depot (approx. mile away); Delta County (approx. 1.4 miles away); Hiram Rattan (approx. 3.4 miles away); DeSpain Bridge (approx. 4.8 miles away); Confederate Refugees in Texas, C. S. A. (approx. 10.9 miles away); Historic Roadside Park (approx. 10.9 miles away); Townsite of Tarrant (approx. 13 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cooper.
 
Categories. AnimalsNotable PlacesRoads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos:   1. submitted on July 4, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.   2. submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement