Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cooper in Delta County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Cooper Rail Depot

 
 
Cooper Rail Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
1. Cooper Rail Depot Marker
Inscription. Built in 1913, this Spanish Revival style brick depot for the Texas Midland Railroad serviced the town of Cooper and Delta County. While the railroad dealt mainly in freight, the depot focused on facilitating passenger service, functioning as a stop along the 130-mile route of the line between Paris and Ennis. It remains a rare example of surviving Texas Midland Railroad structures, being one of only two remaining depots from that line still standing.

Commonly seen in smaller rural communities throughout the United States during the late 19th century, the arrival of the railroad in 1895 brought a dramatic increase in population and commerce to the isolated town of approximately 300 residents. The following year saw Cooper's population grow to more than 1,000 and for the next three decades the population steadily increased until it peaked with 2,563 residents in 1925. The Great Depression and cessation of Texas Midland operations in 1934 thwarted the growth of Cooper. The population remains relatively steady to this day.

The depot remained vacant from the closing of the Texas Midland rail line until World War II. Following the United States' entry into the conflict, local resident Harry Patterson established a cannery operation within the building. Workers canned chicken here that was sent overseas as part of troop
Cooper Rail Depot Marker at former depot. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
2. Cooper Rail Depot Marker at former depot.
rations. Cans originating from the Cooper depot cannery carried the stamp '4P' for identification purposes. Following the end of the war, Depoyster Lumber Company briefly set up operations on the property until relocating in 1967. That year, Harry Patterson purchased the depot and dedicated it as a local history museum to showcase the heritage of Cooper and Delta County.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18129.)
 
Location. 33° 22.44′ N, 95° 41.642′ W. Marker is in Cooper, Texas, in Delta County. Marker is at the intersection of NW 7th Street and West Dallas Street (State Route 154), on the left when traveling north on NW 7th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 700 West Dallas Street, Cooper TX 75432, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Texas Livery Stable (approx. mile away); First National Bank (approx. 0.3 miles away); Delta County (approx. 1.7 miles away); Hiram Rattan (approx. 3.7 miles away); DeSpain Bridge
Former depot - now the Delta County Patterson Memorial Museum. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
3. Former depot - now the Delta County Patterson Memorial Museum.
(approx. 5 miles away); Confederate Refugees in Texas, C. S. A. (approx. 11 miles away); Historic Roadside Park (approx. 11 miles away); Townsite of Tarrant (approx. 13.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cooper.
 
Regarding Cooper Rail Depot. The former depot is now the Delta County Patterson Memorial Museum.
 
Categories. ArchitectureNotable BuildingsRailroads & Streetcars
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement