Clinton in Laurens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Davison McDowell Douglas
—Minister, Educator, Humanitarian —
This building -- dedicated as a memorial to alumni killed in World War II and the Korean War -- is named Douglas House in memory of that beloved servant of God, the Reverend Davison McDowell Douglas, B.A., B.D., M.A., D.D., LL.D., who served faithfully and effectively as President of Presbyterian College from 1911-1927.
Location. 34° 27.883′ N, 81° 52.583′ W. Marker is in Clinton, South Carolina, in Laurens County. Marker is on Presbyterian College Road west of South Adair Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is to the left of the Douglas Hall's front entrance. Marker is in this post office area: Clinton SC 29325, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jacobs Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Mrs. Lillian G. Brown (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Presbyterian College Armed Forces Memorial (about 300 feet away); American Flag Pole (about 300 feet away); The Reverend William Plumer Jacobs (about 700 feet away); Malcolm A. MacDonald James Ferdinand Jacobs (approx. 0.4 miles away); William Plumer Jacobs, D.D., LL.D. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Eugene Blakely Sloan (approx. 0.4 miles away); Clinton Veterans Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clinton.
Also see . . .
1. Presbyterian College. Official website of Presbyterian College. (Submitted on October 1, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Thornwell-Presbyterian College Historic District. The Thornwell-Presbyterian College Historic District comprises the historic cores of Presbyterian College and the Thornwell Home and School for Children, together with the adjacent residential streets. (Submitted on October 14, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. 'Dirty D' leaves fond memories. From the University of South Carolina paper Daily Gamecock, memories of Douglas Towers, named for Douglas who served as seventeenth president of the university 1927-1931. (Submitted on October 1, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Davison McDowell Douglas
Davison McDowell Douglas was liberally educated, graduating A.B. from Davidson College in North Carolina in 1805 and studying for the ministry in Louisville Theological Seminary during 1895-96 and in 1899 receiving his Bachelor of Divinity degree from Columbia Theological Seminary. The University of South Carolina gave him his Master of Arts degree in 1900, and during the following year he was a student in Princeton University and Theological Seminary, while in 1904-06 he did post-graduate work in Johns Hopkins University at Baltimore.
Doctor Douglas, who was awarded his Doctor of Divinity degree by Davidson College in 1912, was ordained in the Presbyterian ministry in 1915, and during the following four years was pastor at Brevard and Davidson River, North Carolina. From 1904 to 1911 he was pastor of the Maryland Avenue Church in the City of Baltimore. Doctor Douglas came to his present work as president of the Presbyterian College
September 16, 1903, he married Miss Lydia A. Welch, daughter of James H. and Elizabeth (Moffat) Welch. Her father was a manufacturer at Beaver, Pennsylvania. Doctor and Mrs. Douglas have two daughters, Elizabeth Moffat and Margaret McDowell Douglas. (Source: History of South Carolina by Yates Snowden, pg 31.)
— Submitted October 14, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Education • Military • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • War, Korean • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,723 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 1, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4, 5. submitted on October 14, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.