Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Evangelical Church

 
 
First Evangelical Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 6, 2018
1. First Evangelical Church Marker
Inscription. On July 1, 1851, a group led by the Rev. Caspar Messon Braun (1822-1880) founded the Erste Deutsche Evangelische Lutherische Kirche, or First German Evangelical Lutheran Church. The State of Texas issued the church's charter in September of that year.

The first sanctuary was a wooden building on the southeast corner of Texas Avenue at Milam Street. In 1901, under the Rev. William L. Blasberg (1862-1935), the congregation moved to the northwest corner of Texas at Caroline, to a new red brick and sandstone sanctuary. After selling the second structure in 1926, the First Evangelical Church, as it became known, purchased this site. Under the leadership of the Rev. Detlev Baltzer (1889-1962), the congregation hired architect Joseph W. Northrop, Jr., who had moved to Houston to oversee construction of the original Rice Institute, now Rice University. James West was general contractor for the new church campus, and J.C Nolan and the Star Electric and Engineering company held sub-contracts.

Northrop's North Italian Romanesque styling features terra cotta roof tiles on the sanctuary, education building and parsonage, as well as a campanile, or bell tower. The buildings were constructed of interlocking concrete tiles covered with buff-face brick and white sandstone trim. The campanile's bell was forged in 1880 and has rung
First Evangelical Church image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 6, 2018
2. First Evangelical Church
at each of the congregation's places of worship. The tower connects the sanctuary to the seven-bay arched portalis of the education building, which houses a stage, sports facilities, auditoriums and classrooms. The sanctuary's details include pulpit and altar made by master woodcarvers from Oberammergau, Germany. Pews and chancel furnishings, designed by Northrop, are by the American Seating Company. The choir loft houses a 1903 Kilgen and Son pipe organ, and the stained glass windows are from the Browne Window Company.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2002

 
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12912.)
 
Location. 29° 44.297′ N, 95° 22.538′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Holman Street and Caroline Street, on the right when traveling west on Holman Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1311 Holman Street, Houston TX 77004, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Jacinto High School (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Temple Beth Israel (about 400 feet away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Houston Light Guard Armory (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Houston Light Guard (approx. 0.2 miles away); Courtlandt Place (approx. half a mile away); James L. Autry House (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Waldo Mansion (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
 
Also see . . .  First Evangelical Lutheran Church. (Submitted on July 9, 2018.)
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement