Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
City of Westminster in Greater London County, England, United Kingdom
 

Church of the Assumption

 
 
Church of the Assumption Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 15, 2018
1. Church of the Assumption Marker
Inscription. Click to hear the inscription.  A Catholic chapel belonging to the Portuguese Embassy at 24 Golden Square existed here in the early 18h century. In 1747 the Portuguese Embassy moved elsewhere and the house and chapel were taken over by the Bavarian Embassy. The chapel was severely damaged and its contents burnt during the Gordon Riots of 1780. The present chapel was opened on 12th March 1790, the feast of St. Gregory the Great, and has been served ever since by the London dlergy. In 1854 it became a parish church, with the title "Church of the Assumption," but continued to be known as the Bavarian Chapel until the early 20h century. The sanctuary, built around 1880, was intended to be part of a reconstruction of the interior that was never carried out. The chapel is the only remaining Catholic Embassy Chapel of the Penal Times.
 
Location. 51° 30.67′ N, 0° 8.287′ W. Marker is in City of Westminster, England, in Greater London County. Marker is on Warwick Street just south of Beak Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: City of Westminster, England W1B 5LZ, United Kingdom.
 
Other nearby markers.
Church of the Assumption and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 15, 2018
2. Church of the Assumption and Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lord Stanley of Preston (within shouting distance of this marker); The Portuguese Embassy (within shouting distance of this marker); A History of Golden Square (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Cardinal Wiseman (about 90 meters away); Ziggy Stardust (about 120 meters away); The Crown (about 120 meters away); Don Arden and “Small Faces” (about 150 meters away); Canaletto (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in City of Westminster.
 
Also see . . .  Church of our Lady of the Assumption and Saint Gregory (Wikipedia). "The Church of Our Lady of the Assumption and St. Gregory is a Roman Catholic church on Warwick Street, Westminster. It was formerly known as the Royal Bavarian Chapel, since like several Roman Catholic churches in London it has its origin in a chapel within a foreign embassy. It was built between 1789 and 1790 to the designs of Joseph Bonomi the Elder. The only surviving eighteenth century Roman Catholic chapel in London, it is a Grade II listed building." (Submitted on July 7, 2018.) 
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 7, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement