Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church Georgetown

 
 
First Baptist Church Georgetown Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 7, 2018
1. First Baptist Church Georgetown Marker
Inscription. Click to hear the inscription.  In the early years of Georgetown, Baptist preachers, including Reverend George W. Baines, conducted worship services in people’s homes. Because of the booming population, there was a need for the Baptists to have a place of worship. The First Baptist Church Georgetown was established on October 30, 1866, with thirteen members. The worshippers met in the Union Building, a school that served as a church for several denominations on Sundays located at Seventh and Myrtle Streets.

In 1879, Major W.E. Penn, a southern lay evangelist, held a camp meeting at the “Fair Grounds” (now called San Gabriel Park) near Five Springs. Hundreds attended and were baptized, including many of the First Baptist Church. Also in 1879, a group of Baptist women formed the Ladies Aid Society to support foreign missions, education and Buckner’s Orphanage. In 1917, the church congregation formed the Williamson County Baptist Association.

In the 1880s, Mrs. Lizzie Glasscock Talbot donated land at Sixth and Church Streets for a church and parsonage. As membership grew, however, a larger facility was needed. In 1926, Mrs. Helen Boatner Glasscock donated
First Baptist Church Georgetown Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 7, 2018
2. First Baptist Church Georgetown Marker
land on Tenth and Main Streets and a new church was erected. The church relocated to this location on Highway 29 in 1987.

With more than 4,000 members, the congregation continues to support local organizations and churches. Through education, missions and outreach, the First Baptist Church Georgetown has been a committed source of faith in the community.
 
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18204.)
 
Location. 30° 37.943′ N, 97° 42.451′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on West University Avenue (State Highway 29) west of River Chase Boulevard, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1333 W Unitversity Ave, Georgetown TX 78628, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Page-Decrow-Weir House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Wesley Chapel A.M.E. Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Georgetown Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Railroad Produce Warehouse (approx. 1.7 miles away); Site of Marshall-Carver High School (approx. 1.7 miles away); Macedonia Baptist Church
First Baptist Church Georgetown image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 7, 2018
3. First Baptist Church Georgetown
(approx. 1.7 miles away); Marsh F. Smith House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Steele Store - Makemson Hotel Building (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Also see . . .  First Baptist Church Georgetown. (Submitted on July 9, 2018.)
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 7, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement