The Dormitory at the Morris Industrial School for Indians
The Sisters of Mercy mission school at Morris housed Chippewa Indians from Turtle Mountain Reservation in North Dakota and Dakota Indians from Sisseton Reservation in South Dakota. The mission school was operated under a contract with the federal government, whose policy prior to 1887 had been to isolate Indians on reservations. After 1887, the Dawes Severalty Act emphasized assimilation of Indians into mainstream culture. Mission boarding schools were established to fill the need for an education system. In Minnesota, many of these boarding schools including the Morris School, were administered by the Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions.
In 1896 federal policy changed again, and administration of the Morris Indian mission school was transferred to the federal government. The Indian Industrial School at nearby Clontarf was closed and its students were transferred to Morris, where they were offered both industrial and academic classes. The combined school at Morris continued to operate until 1909.
Erected 1999 by Minnesota Historical Society.
Location. 45° 35.353′ N, 95° 54.084′ W. Marker is in Morris, Minnesota, in Stevens County. Marker is on Cougar Circle, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is on the University of Minnesota Morris campus. Marker is in this post office area: Morris MN 56267, United States of America.
Regarding The Dormitory at the Morris Industrial School for Indians. The dormitory is now the university's Multi-Ethnic Resource Center.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on the Morris Industrial School for Indians. (Submitted on July 8, 2018, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota.)
Additional keywords. Ojibwe
Categories. • Education • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2018, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. This page has been viewed 41 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 8, 2018, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.