Flagstaff in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
1921 - 1935
Soon afterwards, automobile travel began to increase in Flagstaff as Route 66 was created and advertised. Until 1932, when the underpass was built, traffic on Route 66 came by this location, making it a natural place for a motel.
The Nackards converted their home into the first phase of a motel operation. In 1933 they added the "bunkhouse" on the south side of the property, and in 1935, they built the large court wrapping it around the original bungalow.
The collective buildings were known as the Downtowner Motel, and served as one of the largest and best-known Flagstaff lodgings for many years.
Later, as traffic began to bypass the location, the character of the business changed, catering to residential occupants. Purchased in 1989, the Downtowner also became the main office of the new owners Levitan Investment Properties and Services.
Erected 1994 by Owner Levitan Investment Properties and Services and Richard and Sherry Mangum.
Marker series. This marker is included in the U.S. Route 66 marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 South San Francisco Street, Flagstaff AZ 86001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Historic Basque Handball Court (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Gandy Dancer" (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Railroad Depot (about 500 feet away); Transcontinental Railroad Centennial (about 600 feet away); Two Spots (about 600 feet away); Aubineau / Andreatos Building (about 600 feet away); Donahue Building (about 600 feet away); Coconino Chop House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flagstaff.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 412 times since then. Last updated on July 9, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 15, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.