Grand Junction in Mesa County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Benge’s Shoe Store
Founder Bertrand Benge moved from Winterset, lowa, to Grand Junction in 1910. His son Harry joined him in the company in 1935 as a partner, and later became the owner. Bertrand's grandson Bruce Benge started as partner in 1975 and became the owner in 1977. The business originally started in a small building at 422 Main Street.
Erected by Colorado Historical Society. (Marker Number 12.)
Location. 39° 4.047′ N, 108° 33.838′ W. Marker is in Grand Junction, Colorado, in Mesa County. Marker is on Main Street west of North 6th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 514 Main Street, Grand Junction CO 81501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Majestic/Mesa Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fair Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Junction News Established (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bannister Furniture (about 300 feet away); Mesa Drug/City Market (about 600 feet away); Sampliner’s Dry Goods (about 600 feet away); St. Regis Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Whitman School (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Junction.
Regarding Benge’s Shoe Store. The structure is a narrow building on a typical lot size first offered by the original Grand Junction Town Company. In 1881 town officers purposely mapped out narrow, 25-foot wide downtown lots, hoping businessmen would buy at least two or more lots for larger buildings. It is likely the original builder at 514 Main could not afford more than one lot.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 12, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.