Lead in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Sweatman Art Memorial / Finnish Lutheran Church
This former Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church was built in 1889 by John Neimi and John Saari, and was located on Lot 11 East Main Street. It is significant as the only remaining institutional building which marks the history of the Finns in Lead. In addition, the church retains an unusual altar painting done by one of its members in 1905-1907.
Upon dedication of a new Lutheran Church in 1962, the original church, seen here, was sold to the Lead Women's Club for an art memorial and was moved to a site in the old Sinking Gardens Park. It was named Sweatman Art Memorial in honor of Mrs. Ira B. Sweatman who had left a donation for an art center. It remained there until the expansion of the Open Cut necessitated its removal to its present location in the summer of 1994.
Location. 44° 21.115′ N, 103° 45.853′ W. Marker is in Lead, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street / CanAm Highway (U.S. 85) and Julius Street, on the right when traveling south on West Main Street / CanAm Highway. Touch for map. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, directly in front of the subject building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 170 West Main Street, Lead SD 57754, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within The Homestake Gold Mine and Open Cut (within shouting distance of this marker); Homestake Open Cut Mine (within shouting distance of this marker); Ray Davis and the Homestake Experiment (within shouting distance of this marker); The Open Cut (within shouting distance of this marker); United States Post Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomas Johnston Grier (approx. 0.4 miles away); Christ Episcopal Church and Grier Statue (approx. 0.4 miles away); Second Deadwood Gold Discovery (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lead.
More about this marker. Marker is a large composite plaque, mounted horizontally on waist-high posts.
Regarding Sweatman Art Memorial / Finnish Lutheran Church. National Register of Historic Places (1985). The building is in excellent condition and currently houses an art gallery and gift shop.
Also see . . .
1. National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form - 1985. This church was one of three Finnish Lutheran congregations in Lead and is the only one to have survived. The congregation worships across the street in the new First Lutheran Church building, erected in 1963 when several different Lutheran ethnic groups merged into the (Submitted on July 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Aspire Boutique moves into Old Finnish Church in Lead. Sarah Larson and her aunt Linda Rowe first opened the doors to Aspire Boutique, of Lead, in January 2016, and in early May, the store was relocated to the Old Finnish Lutheran Church at 170 W. Main St. (Submitted on July 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Lead Historic Walking Tour: Finnish Lutheran Church Building. The members of the Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Black Hills purchased a lot on East Main Street in Lead in July, 1889 and began construction of this church building, which was completed in 1891 at a cost of $911. It served the First Lutheran Church congregation from 1891 to 1962 when a new church was constructed. The Women’s Club of Lead purchased the old church for an art memorial and had the building moved to a location near the Open Cut. It was moved to its present site in 1993 where it is now a gift shop. (Submitted on July 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.