Glenwood Springs in Garfield County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Jacob Strassheim purchased the property in 1893. He constructed a two-and-one-half-story brick veneered building on this site. Strassheim offered rooms for rent on the second floor and operated a saloon on the street level. However, Strassheim's financial problems forced the property into foreclosure. In 1900, the building and property were sold to wholesale liquor dealer James Sheridan.
Sheridan leased the building to Bart Petrini who operated the Roma Saloon here. When Colorado enacted statewide prohibition in 1916, Petrini's saloon closed. Sheridan then leased the building to T.J. Silvy who then opened the Arcade Hotel.
Battista and Julia Anselmi purchased the property from James Sheridan in 1920 and established the Rex Hotel. He and his wife managed the hotel until his death in 1943. Once again, the hotel was sold, this time to Julius and Amelia Zanella. Their clientele during World War II included wives visiting their
Toni Peabody purchased the Rex Hotel in 1979. Her 20 rooms filled the community's need for low-income housing.
In 1991, the Rex Hotel was sold to Hotel Denver owners Steve and April Carver. The Rex Hotel was demolished in 2000. The current structure was constructed to mirror the architectural style of the Hotel Denver's facade.
Erected by the Frontier Historical Society and the City of Glenwood Springs.
Location. 39° 32.863′ N, 107° 19.371′ W. Marker is in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, in Garfield County. Marker is at the intersection of 7th Street and Blake Avenue, on the right when traveling east on 7th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 420 7th Street, Glenwood Springs CO 81601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Star Hotel (here, next to this marker); Hotel Denver (a few steps from this marker); The Hotel Glenwood (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); "The First National Bank Building" (about 600 feet away); Citizens National Bank Building (about 700 feet away); Hughes-Anderson Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); I.O.O.F. Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); McCoy-Armory Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glenwood Springs.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.