Indian Creek Baptist Church
The Indian Creek Pioneer Burial Ground
The Indian Creek Regular Baptist Church was established in 1810 as an arm of the Little Cedar Creek Church of Brookville, Indiana. The congregation purchased three acres of land for a burial ground and church and built a log structure here in 1811. Members voted in 1812 that they would receive no person who believed in the principles of slavery. By 1829, membership had reached 150 and the present brick meeting house was built. In the 1840s, membership declined due to conflict over mission activity. The congregation dissolved in 1879 and the land was deeded to the Indian Creek Cemetery Association in 1880. The county park system received the property in 1960 through and with the cooperation of the Butler County Historical Society and the Cemetery Association.
The Indian Creek Burial Ground was the first land purchased in Butler County to be used for a cemetery. The ground was never plotted and burial was free. Stones marked the graves of those who never completed their westward jouneys, among them children and parents as well as some of the founders of the church. Other notable burials include Thomas Boone, cousin of Daniel Boone and soldiers from the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812 and the Civil War. In 1880, after the church dissolved, the Indian Creek Cemetery Association was formed to continue maintenance
Erected 2015 by W.E. Smith Family Charitable Trust, Indian Creek Pioneer Church and Burial Ground Committee, The Ohio Historical Connection. (Marker Number 34- 9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 27.875′ N, 84° 47.184′ W. Marker is in Oxford, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is on Indian Creek Road (County Route 37), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3000 Indian Creek Road, Oxford OH 45056, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oxford Female Institute / Caroline Scott Harrison 1832-1892 (approx. 3.8 miles away); William Holmes McGuffey (approx. 3.9 miles away); Oxford Veterans Memorial (approx. 4 miles away); Stanton's "Magnificent Dwelling" / Elizabeth Cady Stanton (approx. 4 miles away); Alpha Delta Phi (approx. William Holmes McGuffey House (approx. 4 miles away); Mother of Fraternities (approx. 4 miles away); The Act of 1794 (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oxford.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 17, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.