Thomaston in Upson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Cannon Ball
Presented to U.D.C. by Mrs. Sallie White to whom it was given in 1861 by P.W. Alexander, leading Confederate War Correspondent, who was present when the ball was fired, and knew it to be the first.
The first marker supporting this ball, stating these facts was erected on this square in 1919.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 32° 53.242′ N, 84° 19.582′ W. Marker is in Thomaston, Georgia, in Upson County. Marker is at the intersection of South Center Street (Georgia Route 3) and West Gordon Street, on the left when traveling north on South Center Street. Touch for map. Monument is located on Courthouse Lawn. Marker is in this post office area: Thomaston GA 30286, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Upson County (within shouting distance of this marker); Upson Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); General John B. Gordon (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Dead Pettigrew-White-Stamps House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Trice Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Unknown Confederate Dead (approx. 6.8 miles away); First Post Office (approx. 7.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thomaston.
Also see . . . The First Shot of the Civil War - The Surrender of Fort Sumter, 1861. (Submitted on July 18, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.