Safety Harbor Historical Site: Tucker Mansion
In November 1864, Virginia Bailey married Captain James Felix Tucker (1840-1913), a disabled confederate veteran of the Civil War. After the death of Colonel Bailey, Captain Tucker converted the springs into a viable commercial facility through additional construction. He increased promotional efforts of the current Safety Harbor Resort and Spa until his death in 1913. Virginia Tucker managed the springs for several years before eventually selling her interest in the springs.
The mansion was modeled after the Bailey family's Virginia plantation home, which in turn was modeled after their ancestral home in England. The mansion had a winding staircase and brass chandeliers, a parlor with sliding
In 1999, the Safety Harbor City Commission designated the property a Local Historic Landmark.
Erected by Safety Harbor Museum & Cultural Center and Safety Harbor Museum of Regional History & Historical Society.
Location. 27° 59.569′ N, 82° 41.191′ W. Marker is in Safety Harbor, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker is on North Bayshore Drive just north of Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 311 North Bayshore Drive, Safety Harbor FL 34695, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Espiritu Santo Springs (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); “The Baranoff Oak” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Safety Harbor Historical Site: Safety Harbor Log Cabin (approx. half a mile away); Odet Philippe (approx. 1.1 miles away); Philippe Park (approx. 1.1 miles away); Safety Harbor Site (approx. 1.2 miles away); Bahia Espiritu Santo Mission (approx. 1.3 miles away); Espiritu Santo Church (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Safety Harbor.
More. Search the internet for Safety Harbor Historical Site: Tucker Mansion.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 72 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.